play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • play_arrow

    YO1 York Yo1 Radio York

  • cover play_arrow

    Matt Talks to Julie from PenLife about Inheritance Tax YO1 Radio

  • play_arrow

    Liz is talking to the ladies from Lollipop admin

  • play_arrow

    Liz is talking to the ladies from Lollipop admin

National News

Lewis Hamilton to miss Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for coronavirus

todayDecember 1, 2020 7

Background
share close

Lewis Hamilton to miss Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for coronavirus

Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain after testing positive for coronavirus. The seven-time Formula One world champion is in isolation after his positive result.

An F1 statement said: “The FIA, Formula One and Mercedes Team can today confirm that during mandatory pre-race PRC testing for the Sakhir Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for Covid-19.

“In accordance with Covid-19 protocols, he is now isolating. All contacts have been declared. The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula One will ensure no wider impact on this weekend’s event.”

Hamilton’s Mercedes team said Hamilton, 35, reported “mild symptoms” on the morning following Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix where he claimed his 11th win of the season.

“Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme,” a statement from the Formula One team read.

“However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive.

“Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest.”

The Mercedes statement continued: “Lewis is now isolating in accordance with Covid-19 protocols and public health guidelines in Bahrain.

“Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well, and the entire team sends him its very best wishes for a swift recovery.”

Hamilton, who wrapped up his record-equalling seventh world championship in Turkey last month, is the third driver to have contracted the illness.

Sergio Perez missed the British and 70th Anniversary Grands Prix at Silverstone in August, while his Racing Point team-mate Lance Stroll also tested positive following October’s Eifel Grand Prix in Germany.

Sunday’s race will be the first Hamilton has missed since his debut at the 2007 season-opening race in Australia.

Mercedes have yet to confirm who will replace the Englishman for Sunday’s grand prix on the Outer Loop of the Bahrain International Circuit.

Mercedes reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne, formerly of McLaren, is in the running, while the world champions could also turn to British driver George Russell.

Russell, 22, is in his second season with Williams, but is a member of the Mercedes junior driver programme.

Published: by Radio NewsHub

Written by: YO1 Radio Web Team

Rate it

Previous post

local News

Christmas recycling for the Snappy Trust

On Tuesday 1st December the annual Christmas recycling campaign ‘Eat the pies, Save the foil’ will be launched to encourage everyone in York to recycle their mince pie cases, other aluminium foil, drinks cans, broken Christmas tree lights and household cables to help raise money for The Snappy Trust. This year has been really difficult for everyone but throughout the pandemic a handful of volunteers have continued to collect the […]

todayNovember 30, 2020 15


0%